Romany M. Webb
Romany Webb is a Senior Fellow at the Sabin Center. Romany’s work at the Sabin Center focuses on climate change mitigation, exploring how legal and policy tools can be used to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote carbon sequestration. Much of her research focuses on the intersection of climate and energy, looking at options to minimize the climate impacts of energy development. In addition to her scholarship, Romany maintains online resources such as the Silencing Science Tracker.
Prior to joining the Sabin Center, Romany worked at the University of California Berkeley Energy and Climate Institute, researching executive authority to combat climate change. Romany also completed a fellowship with the Kay Bailey Hutchison Center for Energy, Law, and Business at the University of Texas at Austin, where she researched energy policy. The fellowship followed several years working in private practice in Sydney, Australia.
Romany received an LL.M., with a certificate of specialization in environmental law, from the University of California, Berkeley in 2013. She also holds an LL.B., awarded with first class honors, from the University of New South Wales (Australia).
- When Politics Trump Science: The Erosion of Science-Based Regulation (with Lauren Kurtz and Susan Rosenthal) (Forthcoming, Environmental Law Reporter, September 2020)
- Climate Change, FERC, and Natural Gas Pipelines: The Legal Basis for Considering Greenhouse Gas Emissions Under Section 7 of the Natural Gas Act (Sabin Center White Paper, June 2019)
- “Methane,” in Legal Pathways to Deep Decarbonization in the U.S. (Michael Gerrard and John Dernbach eds., 2019)
- “Production and Delivery of Low-Carbon Gaseous Fuels,” in Legal Pathways to Deep Decarbonization in the U.S. (Michael Gerrard and John Dernbach eds., 2019)
- Deploying Advanced Metering Infrastructure on the Natural Gas System (Sabin Center White Paper, July 2018)
- Geological Storage of CO2 in Sub-Seafloor Basalt (with David Goldberg et al.) (Energy Procedia, July 2018)
- Climate Change Impacts on the Bulk Power System (with Justin Gundlach) (Sabin Center White Paper, Feb. 2018)
- Distributed Energy Resource Participation in Wholesale Markets (with Justin Gundlach) (Energy Law Journal, May 2018)
- Carbon Pricing in New York ISO Markets (with Justin Gundlach) (Pace Environmental Law Review, Jan. 2018)
- Policy Readiness for Offshore Carbon Dioxide Storage in the Northeast (with Michael Gerrard) (Sabin Center White Paper, June 2017)
- Increasing Gasoline Octane Levels to Reduce Vehicle Emissions (Sabin Center White Paper, Jan. 2017)
- Changing Tides in Water Management: Policy Options to Encourage Greater Recycling of Fracking Wastewater (William & Mary Environmental Policy Review, 2017)
- Safety First, Environment Last: Improving Regulation of Gas Pipeline Leaks (KBH Center for Energy, Law, and Business, Sep. 2015)
- EPA’s Clean Power Plan: Implementation Options (KBH Center for Energy, Law, and Business, June 2015) (co-authored with Melinda Taylor)
- Lost But Not Forgotten: The Hidden Environmental Costs of Compensating Pipelines for Natural Gas Losses (KBH Center for Energy, Law, and Business, Apr. 2015)
- “Water,” in The Laws of Australia (Hon Michael Kirby AC CMG ed., Thompson Reuters Australia, 2015)
- Addressing Climate Change Without Legislation (Berkeley Energy and Climate Institute, Aug. 2014) (co-authored with Steven Weissman)
- Australian Water Law (Thompson Reuters Australia, 2015) (co-authored with Kate Stoeckel, Luke Woodward, & Amy Hankinson)