Cities Climate Law Initiative
The Cities Climate Law Initiative works with city legal departments and sustainability offices, and the networks that link them together, to provide key resources to efficiently and effectively address legal questions confronting the urban climate transition.
For more information, please email Sabin Center Senior Fellow Amy Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This initiative is in partnership with Urban Sustainability Directors Network and is generously supported by the Kresge Foundation
- How Cities Can Make the Most of IRA Dollars -- Episode 168 on Local Energy Rules, Institute for Local Self-Reliance, October 12, 2022
- California's 2030 ban on gas heaters opens a new front in the war on fossil fuels, Grist, September 26, 2022
- Ten cities and towns are poised to ban fossil fuels from new buildings, Boston Globe, August 14, 2022.
- “Smart” surfaces could chill overheating cities, Axios, July 21, 2022.
- The Supreme Court’s EPA ruling was the beginning of something bigger, Washington Post, July 6, 2022.
- After Supreme Court Ruling, Cities ‘Left Holding the Bag’ on Climate Change, Bloomberg CityLab, June 30, 2022.
- What Makes Electrifying the Economy So Challenging?, State of the Planet, June 3, 2022.
- The Legal Clash Over a City’s Landmark Natural Gas Ban, Route Fifty, May 31, 2022.
- A Natural Gas Giant is Waging a Sneaky War On a Minor Colorado Climate Policy, HuffPost, March 5, 2022.
- Proposal to forbid local gas bans dropped in Senate, Virginia Mercury, March 2, 2022.
- Brookline wants a fossil fuel-free future. With latest ruling, AG says: not yet (again), Boston Globe, February 25, 2022.
- DOE Says Gas Bans Aren’t Preempted by Energy Efficiency, Law360, February 9, 2022.
- Keepers of the flame vs. climate change reduction; Gas bans worry cooks, Christian Science Monitor, January 25, 2022.
- How Biden’s agencies order hits natural gas, E&E News, December 13, 2021
- New York City council requires climate resilience plan, Quartz, October 11, 2021
- What It Will Take for Kathy Hochul to Get Congestion Pricing Right, Curbed, August 26, 2021
- With Time Running Out To Cut Carbon From Buildings, Industry Just Tightened Its Grip, Huffington Post, July 2, 2021
- He wanted to get his home off fossil fuels. There was just one problem, Grist, March 18, 2021
- Making buildings energy efficient just got harder, Popular Science, March 12, 2021
- Electric Vehicles: First U.S. gas station ban sparks battle, E&E News, March 11, 2021
- After Championing Greener Building Codes, Local Governments Lose Right To Vote, Huffington Post, March 4, 2021
- Secretary Pete Is Already Coming Through for New York City on Congestion Pricing, Curbed, February 23, 2021
- Does your state want to cut carbon emissions? These old laws could be standing in the way., Grist, August 10, 2020
- How Environmental Movement Plans to Leverage the Coronavirus Pandemic, Wall Street Journal, April 6, 2020
- Video: In New York’s Empty Streets, Lessons for Climate Change in Response to Covid-19, InsideClimate News, April 17, 2020
- Could the COVID-19 pandemic be an environmental inflection point?, Global News CA, March 29, 2020
- Legal Considerations for Urban Carbon Mitigation Policies by Cities, CitiesSpeak, December 12, 2019
- Legal Considerations for Urban Carbon Mitigation Policies, Climate Law Blog, Amy Turner, October 29, 2019